Tuesday, April 12, 2011

today it's sesame street.

yesterday i went to the doctor. and i had a needle put in my finger. my history with doctors is not that wonderful. sometimes i pass out when needles get put into me. sometimes i get seconds away from passing out just from listening to the doctor tell me how to take care of the gaping hole where my wisdom tooth used to be.

either way, it's rather embarrassing.

i didn't pass out yesterday. not even close. but my finger still hurts. seriously, it does. so i would like to use this opportunity to discuss the merits of band-aids.

specifically: i am one hundred percent certain that band-aids actually do relieve pain.

so right now i have a cool sesame street band-aid on. i am not one of those disney-princess-obsessed mormon girls that i've found byu-idaho to be so full of. but i do have a certain appreciation for the following bandaids: toy story, dora, strawberry shortcake, sesame street, hello kitty, barbie, and animal print.

so do i occasionally wear a band-aid just because i feel like it? yes. yes i do. but right now, i can honestly attest to the fact that my finger feels better with a band-aid on than it does without a band-aid.


the dot on my finger where the needle was reminds me of the freckle that used to be on my middle finger. i was in kindergarten, and i thought it was an owie. that was back when owies were cool as heck. i have an incredibly vivid memory of walking down the bus aisle holding my middle finger up to show everybody my owie. and i have an equally vivid memory of cristina telling on me once we go home.

my mom patiently explained to me that holding your middle finger up meant a naughty word. i completely and entirely didn't get it. but i pretended i did and i never held my middle finger up again. it was my first memory of being flooded with that embarrassing, stinging shame that happens when you do something stupid without even knowing that it was stupid. being told on, i've found, often has that effect.
(that freckle, incidentally, was burnt off when i was nine years old and lit a match. it was the first match i ever lit. it burnt my finger. and i have never lit another match.)

so now that you know the history of my middle finger freckle which i'm sure you have always wondered about..
..i hope you have a nice tuesday night.

2 comments:

  1. my tuesday night just got a whole lot better lol. oh how i heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha I am the same way...right before Benji and I got married I went to the doctor with him and I nearly passed out because what the doctor was saying to him about his swollen ankle and the blood clotting in it. EMBARASSING! lol. Everyone always laughs at me about it!

    ReplyDelete