Wednesday, April 20, 2011

nicknames

i've always been jealous of people who have nicknames.

my little sister's name is brianna. most people call her bri. i call her bee, or bria, or bri.

people whose names are zachary or wesley are fortunate, because they are called by their nickname most of the time, which makes their full names kind of special.

megans and chelseas are lucky, because their names quickly turn in to megs and chels. it rolls of the tongue. it belongs there.

my name is amy. my dad calls me amy lou. my best friend's mom called me amy jean the jelly bean. my grandma calls me aimmers. some peple call me aims. but for the most part, i am amy.

some names shorten easily. webster's dictionary defines nicknames as "a familiar form of a proper noun." nicknames are familiar. they imply that the full name is said so frequently that it is no longer necessary.

i wish my name had more nicknames.

4 comments:

  1. I always wished for that, too! Seriously, how can you shorten Anita? There is no nickname for that. I always got Anita Juanita or Anita Bonita (which is better). Or for a short time I was Nini (nee-nee) because one of my nephews couldn't say my name when he was little. Otherwise it's always just been plain old Anita. A name I never liked in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll switch you last names. Then you'll get sick if all the million (exaggeration) nicknames you'll have. Be glad you don't have some crazy, confusing first name. Short and sweet is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wishing for the same thing! My name is Pia, so it's not really possible to make a nickname out of that one. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete