Sunday, July 3, 2011

alone.

Toad went to Frog’s house.
He found a note on the door.
The note said,
“Dear Toad, I am not at home.
I went out.
I want to be alone.”
“Alone?” said Toad.
“Frog has me for a friend.
Why does he want to be alone?

Toad looked through the windows.
He looked in the garden.
He did not see Frog.

Toad went to the woods
Frog was not there.
He went to the meadow.
Frog was not there.
Toad went down to the river.
There was Frog.
He was sitting on an island by himself.

“Poor Frog,” said Toad.
He must be very sad.
“I will cheer him up.”
Toad ran home.
He made sandwiches.
He made a pitcher of iced tea.

He put everything in a basket.

Toad hurried back to the river.
“Frog,” he shouted, ‘it’s me.
It’s your best friend, Toad!”
Frog was too far away to hear.
Toad took off his jacket
and waved it like a flag.
Frog was too far away to see.
Toad shouted and waved,
but it was no use.

Frog sat on the island.
He did not see or hear Toad.

A turtle swam by.
Toad climbed on the turtle’s back.
“Turtle,” said Toad,
“carry me to the island.
Frog is there.
He wants to be alone.”

“If Frog wants to be alone,”
said the turtle,
“why don’t you leave him alone?”
“Maybe you are right,” said Toad.
“Maybe Frog does not
want to see me.
Maybe he does not want me
to be his friend anymore.”
“Yes, maybe,” said the turtle
as he swam to the island.

“Frog!” cried Toad.
“I am sorry for all
the dumb things I do.
I am sorry for all
the silly things I say.
Please be my friend again!”

Toad slipped off the turtle.
With a splash, he fell in the river.

Frog pulled Toad
up onto the island.
Toad looked in the basket.
The sandwiches were wet.
The pitcher of iced tea was empty.
“Our lunch is spoiled,” said Toad.
“I made it for you, Frog,
so that you would be happy.”

“But Toad,” said Frog.
“I am happy. I am very happy.
This morning,
when I woke up
I felt good because
the sun was shining.
I felt good because
I was a frog.
And I felt good because
I have you for a friend.
I wanted to be alone.
I wanted to think about
how fine everything is.”

“Oh,” said Toad.
“I guess that is a very good reason
for wanting to be alone.”
“Now,” said Frog,
“I will be glad not to be alone.
Let’s eat lunch.”

Frog and Toad
stayed on the island
all afternoon.
They ate wet sandwiches
without iced tea.
They were two close friends
sitting alone together.

No comments:

Post a Comment